Saturday, June 4, 2011

The meaning of "Why are you all dressed up?"

A piece from an article I found online. I've been meaning to write something about this subject for like four years, so I guess better late than never?

"Saying 'Why are you all dressed up?' As a casual observer, it finally hit me, and I understood the meaning of such a question in all situations. In the context the question was asked anyone would have deciphered the meaning. Such a question is a patronizing, belittling question. Do not take it as a serious question, but as one that really singles you out for dressing like you are more important than everyone else. That's all it really means. I suppose a smart ass question should deserve a smart ass answer."
Told from the point of view of a man named Andy.



Maybe this is why I find the world of style so fascinating. I also like art, so occasionally I like to look like art. But really, I like to look nice, most everyone does, but what that looks like to different groups in different times is subjective and riddled with unwritten rules. Rules that don't make any sense to me! I would never ask anyone anything about their outfit choices, I don't care if your wearing jeans, and I don't care if your wearing heels or not. I'm not hating on your style, so what up with all the negative questions about mine?
I hate when people say "Why are you all dressed up?" Wanna know why? I'll tell you why. Because its fun as well as a great conversation starter? Because where else am I going to wear this? Because I can easily be found if I'm lost? ("Oh, yes, officer just look for the girl in fishnets, and a vest with fringe that goes down to her knee, or she'll be in heels that resemble a chandelier.")   Also, I certainly wouldn't call it 'dressing up' if I dress like this all the time, I would call it 'getting dressed'. So now you're just simply asking why I'm getting dressed? Well my good people, because indecent exposure is illegal. I'm just trying to avoid jail time. 




Have a great weekend. Time to lay by the pool with some Best Coast! 
Best Coast - Summer Mood

"Na Na Ah Boo Boo, Stick Your Head in Doo Doo" -Comedian, Daniel Tosh

xoxo
Katie